ATR Movement Certificates

An ATR Document is a goods movement certificate used for preferential treatment of goods moving between the European Community and Turkey

NI Chamber is authorised to issue ATR certificates on behalf of H.M. Revenue & Customs and can assist customers in working through preference requirements for Turkey.

Industrial Goods are entitled to preferential treatment if they:

• originate in or

• are in free circulation in either the Community or Turkey

The following goods are considered to be in free circulation:

• imports from outside the Community or Turkey on which:

• all import formalities have been completed and

• any customs duties or equivalent charges have been paid and not repaid in whole or in part.

• Goods manufactured in the Community and/or Turkey wholly or partly from materials or parts originating outside the Community or Turkey, provided that:

• all import formalities for the materials or parts have been completed and

• any customs duties or equivalent charges have been paid and not repaid in whole or in part.

IPR and End Use goods are not eligible for preference as these goods are not in free circulation with all the duties or other charges paid and therefore DO NOT qualify for preferential treatment.



How to apply for an ATR

You will need the Harmonised System (HS) code for your products and this may be obtained from H.M Revenue & Customs.  You can contact the Tariff Classification Department (from H.M Revenue & Customs) on 01702 366077.

Use your HS code to check the rules of origin that apply to your products in H.M Revenue & Customs Public Notices 812. To obtain these notice, please visit HM Revenue & Customs website, or simply ‘Google Notice 812.

NI Chamber supply blank ATR forms. Should you wish to order forms, please contact the office.

How do I complete an ATR?

We can provide you with a checklist which explains how to complete an EUR1. (see link)

How much does it cost to issue an ATR?

Please contact the office for an up to date price

What other documents do I need to send with my application?

We will need a copy of your export invoice, payment of the issue fee and an SAE if you require your document returned by post.

Where do I send my ATR application?

ATR certificates can be processed through the NI Chamber’s online platform, with same day turnaround, or by posting your application toNorthern Ireland Chamber of Commerce & Industry, 4-5 Donegall Square South, Belfast, BT1 5JA, or alternatively, you can visit our offices and have your document processed while you wait.

How long will it take to get my ATR?

Electronic applications will be processed same day if received before 3pm.  Applications received by post are issued and posted back to applicants for next day delivery.  Incorrectly completed documents can delay application processing.

Can I apply for an ATR after shipment?

Yes. You can apply for a retrospective ATR.  You should make every effort to complete a movement certificate ATR before shipment. As an exception can apply for a movement certificate ATR after the goods have been shipped.  NI Chamber can provide guidance as to what you need to do.

What if I lose my ATR?

If a movement certificate ATR has been lost, stolen or destroyed you may apply for the issue of a duplicate at the office where the original was issued. You must:

  • a satisfactory statement of why a duplicate is required, stating when and where the original movement certificate was issued

  • supply copies of export documents in your possession

  • a properly completed movement certificate; marked ‘duplicate’ and with the serial number and date of issue of the original certificate inserted in the remarks box

  • a written declaration that the goods are the same as those covered by the previous document

  • an undertaking to surrender the original if it’s ever recovered

We will date the duplicate certificate with the date of issue of the original certificate and it will therefore be valid for the same period.

Who should I speak to for advice?

For any queries relating to completion, processing or for further information on ATR certificates, please email Dawn Robertson or call 028 90 244 113 

For help with finding HS codes for your products or using the Public Notices please contact HM Revenue & Customs on 0300 200 3700.