EUR1 Movement Certificates

An EUR1, also known as a ‘movement certificate’, enables importers in certain countries to import goods at a reduced or nil rate of import duty under trade agreements between the EU and beneficiary countries.

Originating goods are either:

• wholly produced in the EC; or

• have been sufficiently processed in the EC to be classed as “originating”. This means work done elsewhere in the EC can help meet the origin rules.

These documents should be used when you can prove the goods’ origin and you hold the required evidence.

NI Chamber is authorised to issue EUR1 certificates on behalf of H.M. Revenue & Customs. Much of what exporters needs to know on qualifying countries is wrapped up in HMRC information booklets and the dedicated staff can take away the confusion of these notices, helping our clients to get on with what matters to them.

All businesses completing EUR1 documents must read a copy of the HM Customs and Excise notices:

• 826 – Import Procedures and General Rules

• 827 – Export Procedures and General Rules

• 828 – Rules of Origin for Various Countries

• 830 – Rules of Origin for GSP Countries

• 832 – Rules of Origin for Mexico

The origin rules for goods of all Tariff headings are set out in Notices 828, 830 and 832. These may vary according to the Tariff heading and the country to which the goods are exported.

Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce & Industry is authorised to issue EUR1 certificates on behalf of H.M Revenue & Customs. Much of what exporters needs to know is wrapped up in H.M Revenue & Customs information booklets and busy companies often do not have time to read this detail.  NI Chamber’s dedicated staff can take away the confusion so you can get on with what matters to you.  If you need help, please contact Dawn Robertson, our experienced Export Document Executive for help.



How to apply for an EUR1

You will need the Harmonised System (HS) code for your products and this may be obtained from H.M Revenue & Customs.  This is a system of product coding and classification used by customs authorities around the world and is also known as a ‘Tariff Number’. You can contact the Tariff Classification Department (from H.M Revenue & Customs) on 01702 366077.

Use your HS code to check the rules of origin that apply to your products in H.M Revenue & Customs Public Notices 828832 (for exports to Mexico only) or 830 (for Generalised System of Preference ‘GSP’ countries). To obtain these notices, please visit HM Revenue & Customs website, or simply ‘Google Notice 827/832’, etc.

NI Chamber supply blank EUR1 forms. Should you wish to order forms, please contact the office.

How do I complete an EUR1?

We can provide you with a checklist which explains how to complete an EUR1 – Customs Notice 827, Section 11.

How much does it cost to issue an EUR1?

Please contact the office for an up to date price.

What other documents do I need to send with my application?

We will need a copy of your export invoice, payment of the issue fee and an SAE if you require your document returned by post.

Where do I send my EUR1 application?

EUR1 certificates can be processed through the NI Chamber’s online platform, with same day turnaround, or by posting your application toNorthern Ireland Chamber of Commerce & Industry, 4-5 Donegall Square South, Belfast, BT1 5JA, or alternatively, you can visit our offices and have your document processed while you wait.

How long will it take to get my EUR1?

Electronic applications will be processed same day if received before 3pm.  Applications received by post are issued and posted back to applicants for next day delivery.  Incorrectly completed documents can delay application processing.

Can I apply for an EUR1 after shipment?

Yes. You can apply for a retrospective EUR1.  You should make every effort to complete a movement certificate EUR1/EUR-MED before shipment. As an exception can apply for a movement certificate EUR1/EUR-MED after the goods have been shipped.  NI Chamber can provide guidance as to what you need to do.

What if I lose my EUR1?

If a movement certificate EUR1/EUR-MED has been lost, stolen or destroyed you may apply for the issue of a duplicate at the office where the original was issued. Please contact the Chamber for guidance.

Who should I speak to for advice?

For any queries relating to completion, processing or for further information on EUR1 certificates, please email Dawn Robertson or call 028 90 244 113.

For help with finding HS codes for your products or using the Public Notices please contact HM Revenue & Customs on 0300 200 3700